Thursday 29 April 2010

The Headless Hunter

While waiting for futher details on Kairye Seeker to set (more pics when that's all done) I started yet another project...

First a history lesson.

Games Workshop at one point released a 54mm scale game called Inquisitor. It never caught on half as much as it deserved, all because of that in spite of an excellent concept most gamers just weren't fond of the scale. The game's RPG-esque rules gave a great deal of freedom as to characters and concepts, but the line of models was only about a dozen to begin with, making it a fairly daunting prospect to represent characters other than the sample characters in the game. One such sample character was Brother-Captain Artemis of the Deathwatch. For a guy named after a Greek godess, he was fairly kick-ass. In fact, space marines were outlawed in most gaming circles as far as Inquisitor was concerned. Being a power armour nerd and into gaming even back then, I obviously got the model as soon as I could. In my defence, I was grooming it to represent my psychic Inquisitor instead, but my gaming group dropped Inquisitor and I left the model half finished.

Until now, that is. I found him again a while back and thought about bringing it back as a mascot for my current smaller-scale-but-similarily-armoured war games army (space marines, naturally).

My premise: I want to make a regular trooper/veteran and not a captain. I'm also missing some parts, most notably his original sword (chopped it of to create a halberd originally) and his head (!). This provides me with ample opportunity to sculpt a larger scale face and a combat blade (basically, a cross between a machete and Crocodile Dundee's "that's no' a 'noif, this is a 'noif". The details on his armour are also filed off, so I have to sculpt new chest plate adornments and such. Of course the whole miniature will be repainted in the black and silver of the Deathwatch once it's all done.

On the left is a pic of what parts I found laying around (including the addition of a plastic shield-shaped ornament snatched from a GW sprue that makes a nice, ornate 'belt buckle') and below you can see the armature for the blade. I will attach this to the arm for sculpting and add pics once that's done.

No comments:

Post a Comment